Newcomer Information

If you are a newcomer relocating to Brevard County, let us be the first to welcome you! On this page, you will find information and links to important services in southern Brevard County including Malabar, Palm Bay, Grant Valkaria, Micco, Barefoot Bay and Melbourne.


Telephone Service
Residential Service: 1-800-288-2020
En Español: 1-888-707-2840
Business Service: 1-866-620-6000
Repair: 1-877-737-2478
Billing: 1-800-288-2020

Florida Power & Light Co. (FPL): 1-321-723-7795

Water & Sewer
Palm Bay: 1-321-952-3420
Melbourne: 1-321-727-2900
West Melbourne: 1-321-727-7700

Natural Gas
AmeriGas: 1-321-631-5070
Coast Gas: 1-800-282-7346
Suburban Propane: 1-321-267-6411
Tru-Gas Propane: 1-321-723-0626

Cable TV / Internet / Phone
Spectrum (formally Bright House Networks)
Tel: 1-321-657-7328


Brevard County Public Schools
Tel: 1-321-633-1000
Newcomers registering their children for classes will need the following:

  • a birth certificate
  • a Social Security card
  • a Certificate of Immunization, which is available from a private physician or the local public health department
  • proof of a medical examination during the past 12 months
  • a copy of the child’s last report card if transferring from another school
  • proof of residency

Eastern Florida State College
Founded in 1960 Eastern Florida State College (formerly Brevard Community College) was founded in 1960 with campuses in Palm Bay, Melbourne, Cocoa and Titusville, plus the Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts, the Historic Cocoa Village Playhouse, the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory, an Aerospace program at Kennedy Space Center and a Virtual Campus. EFSC also owns and operates WEFS-TV, a non-commercial educational television station. WEFS-TV broadcasts educational, cultural, and informational materials and telecourses of special interest. EFSC is a member of the Florida College System.


Palm Bay Hospital
1425 Malabar Road NE
Palm Bay, FL 32907
Tel: 1-321-434-8000

Holmes Regional Medical Center
1350 S. Hickory Street
Melbourne, FL 32901
Tel: 1-321-434-7000

Melbourne Regional Medical Center
(Formally Wuesthoff Medical Center – Melbourne)
250 N. Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32935
Tel: 1-321-752-1200

Local Information Sources

Tourism and Chambers of Commerce

The Greater Palm Bay Chamber of Commerce
Tel: 1-321-951-9998
4100 Dixie Hwy. NE, Suite B
Palm Bay, FL 32905

Melbourne Regional Chamber of East Central FL
Tel: 1-321-724-5400
1005 E. Strawbridge Ave.
Melbourne, FL 32901

Florida’s Space Coast Office of Tourism
Tel: 1-321-433-4470 / Toll Free: 1-877-572-3224
430 Brevard Ave., Suite 150
Cocoa, FL 32922

Brevard County Radio Stations – AM
920 WDMC Melbourne Catholic Radio
1060 WIXC Titusville News / Talk
1240 WMMB Melbourne News / Talk
1300 WKQK Cocoa Beach News / Talk
1350 WMMV Cocoa News / Talk (Simulcast of WMMB)
1510 WWBC Cocoa Christian Talk
1560 WLZR Melbourne Sports Talk

Brevard County Radio Stations – FM
89.3 WFIT Melbourne Public Radio (Florida Tech)
90.3 WEJF Palm Bay Christian Talk
91.5 WMIE Cocoa Christian Talk & Music
93.7 WGYL Vero Beach Adult Contemporary
94.1 WFHA Melbourne Windover Farms Homeowners Assoc.
94.7 WPHR Gifford Modern Country
95.1 WBVD Melbourne Top 40
95.9 WROK Sebastian Classic Rock
97.1 WOSN I.R. Shores Adult Standards
98.5 WSBH SatelliteBeach Oldies
99.3 WLRQ Cocoa Beach Adult Contemporary
99.7 WJKD Vero Beach “Jack-FM”
101.1 WJRR Cocoa Beach Modern Rock
101.7 WCZR Vero Beach Adult Themed Talk
102.7 WHKR Rockledge Country
103.7 WQOL Vero Beach Oldies
104.1 WTKS Cocoa Beach Adult Themed Talk / Classic Rock
106.3 WCIF Melbourne Christian Talk & Music
107.1 WAOA Melbourne Hot Adult Contemporary

Automobile Information
Driver’s Licenses

Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV)
The state of Florida has new documentation requirements for those renewing or obtaining a new Florida driver license or identification card. For office visits, you must bring original documents that prove your identity, social security number and residential address.

  • A driver’s license is required within 30 days for any driver who becomes a resident of Florida, is employed in Florida, or registers a child in a Florida school.
  • New residents are required to pass only a vision exam if they have a valid driver’s license from another state.
  • An appointment for all those getting a driver’s license is recommended.
  • Florida law requires an additional service fee when utilizing a tax collector facility for driver’s license services.

Driver’s License / Vehicle Registration Offices

Brevard County Tax Collector (Palm Bay Branch Office)
450 Cogan Drive SE
Palm Bay, FL 32909
Tel: 1-321-952-4540

Brevard County Tax Collector (Melbourne Branch Office)
1515 Sarno Road
Melbourne, FL 32935
Tel: 1-321-255-4410

Brevard County Tax Collector (Indian Harbour Beach Branch Office)
240 E. Eau Gallie Blvd.
Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
Tel: 1-321-779-4009

Automobile Insurance
Florida requires that after 90 days of legal residency, residents’ vehicles be covered by PIP and property damage insurance. Contact any local automobile insurance agent for more details.

License Tags / Registration
New residents must register all motor vehicles and trailers within 10 days of accepting appointment in Florida, becoming a resident of Florida, or registering a child in a Florida school.

To register, you must bring the vehicle itself, a valid identification (such as an out-of-state driver’s license or a passport), title or proof of lienholder information, odometer reading, proof of Florida personal injury protection insurance, and proof of Florida property damage liability coverage.

Boat Registration
Registering a boat is required for all boats with motors, regardless of size. A valid out-of-state registration of any pleasure craft is recognized for up to 90 days in Florida. After that, Florida registration is required. Fees vary according to the length of the boat. Newcomers from out of state should bring their title and/or registration. Boat registration is handled through the same offices as motor vehicle registration.

Hunting & Fishing
Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission
Northeast Regional Office Tel: 1-352-732-1225

For hunting and fishing, state regulations require both residents and non-residents to have a saltwater fishing license when saltwater fishing from a boat, land or unlicensed pier.

  • A freshwater license is required for freshwater fishing for Florida residents and nonresidents.
  • Licenses are available from county tax collector’s offices or substations ranging from bait shops to discount stores. License cost varies and licenses are renewable annually.
  • Hunting licenses allow the hunting of any animal or bird in season, except on game reserves and posted private property without written permission.
  • If you suspect a wildlife law violation, report it to the FWC Wildlife Alert Reward Program at 1-888-404-FWCC.
Couple Carrying Boxes